Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Too many spoons in the kitchen


    Ever since I was little my Nona and Mom taught me everything I needed to know in the kitchen. How to follow a recipe, precise measuring, and proper pan etiquette. It wasn't until after I got married that I pretty much threw that all out the window. My husband is a simple guy and enjoys simple foods. Everyday he wanted the same thing, lahme and roz (meat and rice).When we moved in together I had all of what I thought was necessary kitchen equipment, and more spices then I knew what to use them for. He laughed as it took up a full cupboard and then some. All of my best dishes he didn't want. I thought I was going to fail as a cook for my husband. After some recipe combining and long phone conversations with his sisters did I start to get the hang of things. All I really needed was a couple pans and only a handful of spices. His favorite meals are so easy now that I even have my own shortcuts. Yemeni cooking is very easy with just a few simple ingredients prepared differently. A while back my husbands relatives visited us from Michigan. Their wives and I swapped kitchen secrets and I truly enjoyed seeing the way they cook. I still experiment with different flavors of food but in the end it's usually lahme that is requested.

“Eat of the good things which We have provided for you."  
Surat Al-Baqarah [2:173] - The Noble Quran



2 comments:

  1. MashaAllah it is nice when people don't make things complicated! My hub is not a fussy eater either but I do try out recipes and he and the kidsenjoy the food adventures I go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Because we come from two different backgrounds I like to incorporate the two as much as I can.

      Delete